a blog discussing politics, stock markets, and calculus.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Table Refinished

I am a slacker! I totally failed on my 30 Day challenge. I could give a thousand excuses, but I won't waste your time. I just didn't do it! I did, however, finish this table. I am super proud of it; it turned out exactly how I pictured it. It is too small for the space I bought it for, so I'll use it until I find another to replace it. I can always find a space for a cute table, right?

I found this table at a thrift store for $35 (it had 4 chairs also...still a work in progress). Since it was already white on bottom, I just sprayed some ivory colored spray paint on the legs, simple enough. I sanded the top with my orbital sander. You'll notice in some spots, the stain took a darker color. This is where I pushed harder with the sander and took off more layers. I like the way it turned out. To me it looks a little distressed, I'm cool with distressed. I used a dark cherry stain I already had. If my memory serves me correctly, I did 4 coats. After letting it dry for 24 hours, I applied 3 coats of a satin finish poly, with 1 hour of dry time between each coat. Much easier than I had expected! In total, let's just say the table was $20, the spray paint was $7 (two cans), and I already had the stain (but if you needed to buy it, a small can is around $10 or less!), so $27 for a new table! Boo-to-the-ya. I'll probably end up using it as a new desk for our family room. The old one will make you gag, so I'll spare you that.

This is the table BEFORE:



and AFTER:



chairs form the old table...not sure what will become of these. 



No comments:

Post a Comment