a blog discussing politics, stock markets, and calculus.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 3

Bookshelf continued...

I sanded that baby down allllllllllllll morning. This is character building for me. I usually would have set it aside, annoyed that I messed up the first time or gotten impatient and painted over my screwy paint job. I am starting one project and finishing it, the right way! Sometimes these projects we take on can be discouraging; they don't always turn out exactly how he imagined them in our minds. I read DIY blogs for fun and inspiration and sometimes I'll see these ladies say,

"I found this super ugly dresser at a thrift store for $3. I cut off one side, whipped up a new top with left over wood from my totem poll project, widdled new legs, miter sawed intricate molding  grabbed my blowtorch and custom-made new hardware from the iron I have laying around in my upstairs closet, and sanded and applied 6 layers of paint and glaze...and look what I made...a brand new sun-room addition!"

Like, huh? Some of these DIY-ers are intense! I'm just learning and hoping to someday be able to tackle almost any home project that we want to accomplish. Thankfully the girls were entertaining themselves by destroying anything in their path. I found Willow by following the items littered in her wake. She was in the backyard, wet and carrying the dogs' water bowl. I found Piper on the side of the house playing in the dirt, with her face and hands absolutely filthy. Whatever keeps them entertained! I would say finding the time to really dig in to big projects is my biggest obstacle at this point.

I grabbed new paint last night for the bookshelf; this time I got a different brand, a slightly lighter purple, and satin finish. It turned out so much better. I first have to start off by saying I went WAY out of my comfort zone with purple. I usually tend toward neutral tones, and if I'm feeling crazy, I go for a green or blue...sometimes yellow.  For a little girls room, I thought I can go a little brighter in here. I like the color, but I don't love it. I also wanted to put a back on it so it looked more finished. I found an unused pillow case, wrapped it tight around some super thin particle board, and tacked it right on the back of the shelf. All in all I spent $5 on the shelf and $10 on the paint (since I messed up the first time around I can to buy 2 new cans).

Here is Piper's new reading nook! She couldn't wait to check it out!






No comments:

Post a Comment